A wonderfully efficient and comfortable home
- Nancy and Donald White
- 21 Garnsey Road, Rexford, NY 12148
- 2,500 sq ft
- Energy need met:
- 75% to 99% of electricity
- 50% to 74% of hot water
- 50% to 74% of space heating
- 100% or more of air conditioning
- Passive house
- Event Participation:
- NESEA Green Buildings Open House 2012 Host
- NESEA Green Buildings Open House 2013 Host
- Solar PV
- January 2008
- Size of System:
- 4.56 kW
- To generate electricity
- To heat hot water
- Gross Cost of System:
- Value of Rebates:
- Value of Tax Credits:
- Net Cost of System:
- Annual Savings:
- Own or Lease:
- Cash Purchase
- Additional Financial Notes:
- Electricity Use: ($433 for 1937 kWh) Components: Heat -- passive solar 50' of south facing glass (high thermal gain glass to heat concrete walls and floors), soap stone wood stove, gas fired boiler for radiant Cooling -- Energy Star ceiling fans, awning on south, large windows east and west, cool concrete Ventilation/Air quality -- programable bath fans, air intake for wood stove Water conservation -- catchment system to cistern and rain barrels for flushing and irrigation, hot water pump to prevent wasting water Hot water -- solar hot water with gas fired indirect back-up
- Alteris Renewables
- Nancy White
- Energy Auditors:
- Dan Gibson
Solar domestic hot water High thermal mass, poured in place, concrete house with insulation on the outside, Hardie board siding,50 ft solarium with indoor planter bed, natural ventilation (no AC), polished concrete floors, universal access, metal roof, sun tunnels (solatubes), vegetable, fruit and herb gardens. This "greenhouse" has not only many environmentally friendly, energy saving features but the solarium provides passive solar heat, 150 square feet of indoor garden and a view of the pond and outdoor gardens. High thermal mass features include stucco interior concrete walls, granite wall behind the wood stove, planter bed and porcelain floor tile. The open floor plan allows for air circulation and easy access. The house was designed to be zero maintenance, very low fossil fuel use, and very easy to move around in and clean with central vacuum. Yard is also designed for aging residents with a small "road" for an electric vehicle, raised vegetable beds, dwarf fruit trees, berries, native plants and no lawn. Other gardens include culinary and medicinal herbs.
The house was designed not only as our home, but also as a teaching center for gardening and alternative healing methods. It has a lending library, plants to share and open to anyone planning on building or remodeling to include more energy efficient and water saving ideas.
The house and its systems are four years old and there has been no need for maintenance of any kind.
Efficiency or Sustainability Improvements:
Spray Foam Open Cell 5" in walls, 10" under roof Alternate greywater, Daylighting, Energy Star Appliances, Energy Star rated, Local Materials, Non-Toxic Products, Passive Solar, Radiant floor heating, Rain Barrels, Recycled Materials, Sunspace, Super Insulated Walls/ Roof
#1 to minimize our footprint environmentally #2 to provide a place where many technologies would be available for others to view #3 to encourage and inspire others to protect and improve the environment.
Do not be afraid to jump in. Those in the clean energy field are very helpful.
Experience with Installer:
Wonderful experience with both companies. They listened well and also had abundant information. They were patient with questions.
The house is on a tiny island in a federal wetlands. Concern for the environment, preserving the balance of wildlife and vegetation has paid great dividends. The biggest surprise was the lack of mosquitos with frogs, snakes, turtles and bats all doing what they do.
Open House Info:
Exit 9W from Northway (I87) onto route 146 (west). Garnsey Road is 6 miles on the right. 21 is on the right, just pass the pond. or Garnsey Road is two blocks east of the intersection of route 146 and Blue Barn Road.
Single-Family Residence|Solar PV
Single-Family Residence|Solar PV