- Single-Family Residence
- 1394 Greene Hill Court, Kutztown, PA 19530
- 1,350 sq ft
- Passive house
- Zero net energy
- Event Participation:
- NESEA Green Buildings Open House 2012 Host
- NESEA Green Buildings Open House 2013 Host
- Solar PV
- For space heating
- Gross Cost of System:
- Value of Rebates:
- Additional Financial Notes:
- Electricity Use: average 2.5 kWh per day Components: Open design with windowed attic and strategically-placed windows catches breezes and allows natural venting to maintain comfortable summer temperatures. Open design and careful fenestration provides efficient passive solar for winter heating with masonry heater backup. Over 300 tons of thermal mass below slab acts as long term heat sink to absorb, hold and release heat on cloudy days.
Professionals & Suppliers
- Acted as own contractor
What You Need to Know
Solar cooling Passive-solar, off-grid home with no mechanical systems. Most major components, including the oak timbers and the masonry, were locally harvested or produced. Leftover boards were recycled into interior walls. Stone was recycled from nearby building ruin. This is a one-bedroom, retirement home designed to be low maintenance and have virtually no monthly bills. A photovoltaic panel powers the well, and a storage tank and gravity provide water pressure at no cost. The roomy, brightly lit interior is a result of using oak timber frame construction with minimal interior walls. Tile and wood floors offer a setting for a highly efficient, massive masonry heater with its own bake oven. Built using local stone and decorated with Mercer tiles, the heater adds its own practical beauty. An orchard, gardens and wood and storage sheds complete the compound. Solar hot water system came in 2009 and the off-grid PV-based 1.2 KW system came in April, 2010. This PV system supplies all our electrical needs.
No heating bills other than cutting wood for masonry heater.
Efficiency or Sustainability Improvements:
Rigid Board Polyurethane All walls and roof Daylighting, Energy Star rated, Local Materials, Masonry stove, Passive Solar, Recycled Materials
Environment, savings in utility bills, personal comfort.
If you have the site, passive solar is only way to go.
Experience with Installer:
Open House Info:
Location: 1394 Greene Hill Court, Kutztown rural. Take Exit 45 (New Smithville) off of I78. Turn south on Route 863, Independent Road. Ascend a hill and start into valley, bearing right onto Sigfrieddale Road before you get into valley. Continue south for less than to a mile. Turn left onto Helffrich Road by wood shop and barn. Greene Hill Court is second right turn. Follow road to end and enter woods via driveway that passes through a red steel gate. Follow driveway to end. Parking by house and along driveway. No pets. Contact prior to visit not essential but will be appreciated.
View Other Case Studies
Single-Family Residence|Solar Space Heating
The EnergySage Marketplace