We love the idea that we are less fossil fuel and nuclear energy dependent. We believe energy conservation, efficiency and renewables are the paths to peace for the United States of America. Our best advice would be for people to invest in these technologies because they make such good economic sense. Our lives have been improved by the feeling of well-being that these benign systems ensure. We are more comfortable with the gentle heating, cooling and humidity control technologies that will be showcased on tour.
- Judi and Lou Friedman
- Single-Family Residence
- 101 Lawton Road, Canton, CT 06019
- 3,200 sq ft
- Energy need met:
- 75% to 99% of air conditioning
- Passive house
- Event Participation:
- NESEA Green Buildings Open House 2013 Host
- Solar PV
- July 2013
- Size of System:
- 8.9 kW
- To generate electricity
- For space heating
- For air-conditioning
- 2013: Daikin high efficiency heat pump (HVAC)
- 2013: 18 Sunpower 250W all- black panels (PV)
- 2000: 40 Astropower 110-watt panels (PV)
- 2000: Zomeworks trackers for 24 of the panels (PV)
- Appropriate Technology Window Quilts
- 2013: RossSolarGroup
- 2000: Alteris Renewables, Inc.
- Ross Solar, a ConEdison Solutions Company
- Edgar Glass
- Walter Johnson
PV, Air Source Heat Pump (HVAC), Solar Domestic Hot Water, Passive Solar, Super-insulated, Daylighting, Roof Overhangs, Green Materials
Our systems may require annual maintenance and there is minimal cost.
Efficiency or Sustainability Improvements:
- Compost and follow the best management practices for perennial garden. - Energy-efficient appliances (Asko dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer). - Irrigation system (solar). - LED bulbs are used in all commonly used locations. - Organic garden and aquaculture pond. - Patio pool pump (solar-electric). - Sun tube for kitchen daylighting. - Window quilts on double-paned windows.
We were motivated by our belief that clean energy and energy efficiency is a more peaceful, healthy, sane, and economic way to operate. We believe that investing in clean energy is a wise investment.
We believe energy conservation, efficiency and renewables are the paths to peace for the United States of America. Our best advice would be for people to invest in these technologies because they make such good economic sense.
Experience with Installer:
Our experience with all the installers has been excellent. We are very pleased with the caliber of person that works in the field of clean energy. Universally each of these installers and workers have been patient, careful, polite and kind.
A 2013 Prius Plug-in Hybrid will be at this event. We are also expecting a Tesla Model S (all-aluminum, all-electric sedan) at this event. An expert from the Ross Solar Group will answer questions about the Daikin air source heat pump (HVAC) for the dining room/ kitchen/ master bedroom.
Open House Info:
Come meet PACE founders and PACE members at the National Solar Tour on 10/5/2013. We'll be at the Friedman Residence in Canton, CT from noon until 4:00 pm. To reach the Canton home, turn north at the intersection of routes 44 and 177 onto Lawton Road. Travel for .8 mile, bearing left at the fork. Go past the 101 Lawton Road paved driveway to the next driveway which will be a dirt driveway at the top of the hill. Turn right onto the dirt driveway and follow the parking signs. If parking on the property is full, park on the house (south) side of Lawton Road. Please do not park on both sides of the street. Show your driver's license at the sign in table. This is a FREE public event!
Single-Family Residence|Biomass & Biofuel systems
Single-Family Residence|Solar PV