We installed solar panels to provide virtually all our electricity needs. We are saving money while also caring for the earth by reducing our carbon footprint.
- Immanuel Lutheran Church of Amherst
- House of Worship
- 867 North Pleasant Street, Amherst, MA 01002
- Energy need met:
- 75% to 99% of electricity
- Event Participation:
- NESEA Green Buildings Open House 2013 Host
- Solar PV
- January 2013
- Size of System:
- 24.9 kW
- To generate electricity
- Gross Cost of System:
- Annual Savings:
- Own or Lease:
- $0-down Lease
- Additional Financial Notes:
- The lease term is 10 years, with our option to purchase the system at the depreciated price at the end. Estimated savings include efficiency upgrades as well as solar energy generation. Actual savings will depend on the SREC market, as we chose a higher lease payment in exchange for keeping the value of the SRECs. The lease was arranged through Massachusetts Interfaith Power & Light and SunBug Solar.
Solar panels were installed on two flat roofs, using non-penetrating racking systems. A ballast system was used on a membrane roof, and a clamping system was used on a standing-seam metal roof.
The solar project is a witness to our belief in caring for God's creation
Minimal maintenance is expected
Efficiency or Sustainability Improvements:
Lighting upgrades prior to the installation of the solar panels significantly reduced our electricity needs. Older, primarily fluorescent, fixtures were upgraded to more efficient ones.
Cost savings -- and our commitment as Christians to stewardship of the earth's resources and environment.
To facilitate the solar lease, as well as save money, we refinanced an existing loan and changed our insurance coverage.
Open House Info:
Open House 12 - 4pm on October 5, 2013
House of Worship|Solar PV
Single-Family Residence|Solar PV