Heating domestic water from the sun is very empowering. It is comforting to know my roof is the source of our hot water.
or more of hot water
- Christian Grieco
- 71 Henderson Rd., Glenmont, NY 12077
- 2,100 sq ft
- Energy need met:
- 100% or more of hot water
- Event Participation:
- NESEA Green Buildings Open House 2013 Host
- Solar Hot Water
- December 2006
- Size of System:
- 2 collectors
- To heat hot water
- Gross Cost of System:
- Value of Rebates:
- Value of Tax Credits:
- Net Cost of System:
- Annual Savings:
- Own or Lease:
- Cash Purchase
- Additional Financial Notes:
- Used home equity line of credit to invest in free resource to heat domestic hot water 100% for most of summer and much less in winter months. Solar covers most hot water from March through September.
Professionals & Suppliers
- Heliodyne Inc
What You Need to Know
(2) Heliodyne solar thermal collectors in a closed loop system heating 80 gallon tank. Recently installed an OHM solar thermal monitoring system that is online but a login is required to access data
Need to check PH of glycol every few years and make sure the pressure in the system is at or around 50 PSI.
Efficiency or Sustainability Improvements:
solar PV on demand water heater passive solar renovation plug in hybrid cars energy star rated appliances replaced fiberglass insulation with blown foam soapstone woodstove as primary heat in winter
wanting to go beyond just solar electricity as the only form of renewable energy in the house. Cutting natural gas usage and carbon creation
get a monitoring system, like the OHM, so you can see the usage in realtime. One has not way of knowing how well the system is operating without a monitoring system
Experience with Installer:
The panels were installed by GroSolar techs. The rest of the system was installed by a third party plumber that was one hour away. The plumber used my hard tap water to "charge" the system. Tap water is NOT supposed to be used if the water is hard.
The Radiant Store maintains the system for me now. Terry Hoag provided and installed the OHM monitoring system. The system requires a login so it is not publiclly accessible. I will have the system connected to a TV to show folks that arrive for the tour. "Backup" hot water is provided by an on demand Takagi natural ggas unit.
View Other Case Studies
Residential|Solar Hot Water
Single-Family Residence|High Efficiency Hot Water
The EnergySage Marketplace