With Chevy Volts, you never have to worry about the battery running out. When the battery gets low, a gas motor comes on, giving you unlimited range. In the summer, the Volt gets all the way into Boston on a charge, with free charging at Logan, the Pru and Government Center. In the winter, about 30 miles...batteries don't like the cold and you have the electric heat on with headlights and wipers. All in all, the Volt sips both gas and electricity. Very high quality car and software. Looks good too.
- Steve Sanders
- Single-Family Residence
- 4 Cedar Lane, Londonderry, NH 03053
- 2,100 sq ft
- Energy need met:
- 75% to 99% of electricity
- Deep energy retrofit
- Zero net energy
- Event Participation:
- NESEA Green Buildings Open House 2013 Host
- Energy Efficiency
- March 2012
- Size of System:
- 16 kW
- To generate electricity
- Gross Cost of System:
- Value of Tax Credits:
- Net Cost of System:
- Annual Savings:
- Own or Lease:
- Cash Purchase
- Additional Financial Notes:
- Before electric cars, a daily commute to Boston from Londonderry in a Kia Sedona cost about $600/month in gas. With the Tesla S, it is $0. With the Chevy Volts it is negligible. Check your situation. Is there a free charger near you? Is there a free charger near where you work or park? Does your solar power create enough to charge you electric car?
2 Chevy Volts
Flicking off OPEC and making the power to run your car is unimaginably empowering.
Almost none. We have 15,000 miles on each Volt and they both still have 80% oil life remaining.
Being able to have my own transportation...no matter what.
Do the math. In your situation, PV + EV may actually be FREE for you compared to your current expenses.
Open House Info:
OCTOBER 5TH, 2013 from 8AM to 4PM Solar PV, Thermal and EV OPEN HOUSE 100% whole House solar electric, charging 4 electric cars, heating 4 garage spaces, heating a chicken coop, heating a cellar. PSNH pays us…with over 6 Megawatts “in the bank” Possible !00% thermal with wood backup. See “stick on” PV, Tracker PV, Rack PV, Xantrex XW system, Battery system and a microinverter system AC Coupled to the Battery system. See a Tarm 2200 Wood/Oil FHW boiler, a 900 gallon heat storage tank and 180 evacuated tube Thermal solar system. See a 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5, a 2012 Tesla S Signature Performance and a Chevy Volt.
Single-Family Residence|Biomass & Biofuel systems
Single-Family Residence|Energy Efficiency