These homes have proven very low energy costs that more than pay for themselves and create real cost savings from day 1 compared to conventional new construction, with all the market requested amenities in a beautiful, wooded setting just 3 miles from some of the nicest beaches in the north east, and in a town that US News and World Report just named as having the 5th best school district in the state.
- 50 Loop Road, Wells, Me 04090
- 1,750 sq ft
- Energy need met:
- 25% to 49% of electricity
- Event Participation:
- NESEA Green Buildings Open House 2013 Host
- Solar PV
- July 2012
- Size of System:
- 4 kW
- Monitor performance:
- To generate electricity
- Gross Cost of System:
- Value of Tax Credits:
- Net Cost of System:
- Annual Savings:
- Own or Lease:
- Cash Purchase
- Additional Financial Notes:
- The homes built at Brackett estates have proven energy savings that exceed the additional cost to finance by $137/month alone or $178/month with 4 kW of solar panels. The model unit has been producing data for over 12 months, proving the cost savings from a super insulated building envelope, and the building designs are aesthetically superior while the quality is state of the art. We have three lenders ready to finance buyers of these homes. Buyers can choose to add additional solar panels to achieve net zero energy status, i.e. no cost to heat, cool or operate vs. $106/month to heat and cool at 70 degrees without any solar panels.
- Kaplan Thompson
- Kaiser Homes
The energy efficiency is R20 in the foundation, R 40 in the walls, and R 60 on the roof, with an air exchange system using a mini-split heat pump and electricity rather than fossil fuels.
In southern Maine, the utility gets 50% of it's power from renewable sources.
Hardly any for the mini-split heat pump, except to change the air filters once a year.
Efficiency or Sustainability Improvements:
Low or no VOC materials and low or no maintenance materials.
Nationwide, energy efficient building represents 22% of new construction, so we are bringing this to Maine where the idea of energy efficiency is new but the need is critical. We are inspired to bring Mainers cost savings and environmental air quality, an idea whose time has come.
We hope someday soon all buildings will be built this way.
Experience with Installer:
There is a lot of variance between what works from a cost perspective and what is wasted in terms of payback, and we are truly fortunate to be able to share our experience for the benefit of our clients. It is not that difficult or expensive to achieve amazing reductions in energy costs and improvements in environmental (indoor air) quality!
Maine as a state has the highest percentage of oil and propane fuel usage for space heating in the nation, which is the most expensive and least efficient. Converting to electric heat pumps is not only better for the budget, it is better for the environment, and is cheaper than natural gas now and will remain so for decades to come. Maine has an advantage in that 50% of its electricity is from renewable resources, making this a smart choice economically and environmentally.
Open House Info:
We have very detailed energy and economic analyses that we are happy to share with everyone. We can demonstrate proven cost savings and environmental benefits on our homes that make investing in a these homes very rewarding. We welcome all to see how we are doing it.
Residential|High Efficiency HVAC
Single-Family Residence|Energy Efficiency