Visit our off-grid homestead and hand-built log cabin, where simplicity and stewardship unite as we develop our edible landscape, live without running water, use a small solar panel for indoor lights, and maintain property access on foot only.
- Bethann Weick & Ryan Harvey
- 107 Old Cemetery Rd, Dorchester, NH 03266
- 288 sq ft
- Solar PV
- December 2012
- Size of System:
- 5 kW
- Gross Cost of System:
- Net Cost of System:
- Own or Lease:
- Cash Purchase
- Additional Financial Notes:
- We live off-grid, with no energy expenses. With the addition of a small solar panel, we have gained more light!
What You Need to Know
Off-grid homesteading. We built a 16'18' log cabin by hand, have no running water, grow as much of our own produce as we can, and recently added a small solar panel for lights. Our property is accessible by foot only.
Peace of mind, simplicity, easy economics, reliability, self-sufficiciency, independence, joy
1. philosophical beliefs in simplicity and sustainability 2. simplicity of economics 3. it's more fun to live by our own labor!
humor and patience are essential to DIY projects
Experience with Installer:
did all work ourselves - this required significant hours on our part, but kept our costs quite minimal. No contractors, little waste, and few expenses.
Open House Info:
Visitors are welcome during daylight hours. Please be aware that we have a dog, and that our property is accessible by foot only. Park by the mailbox; youhave approximately a 1/3mi. walk ahead of you.
View Other Case Studies
Single-Family Residence|Solar PV
The EnergySage Marketplace