New, super-insulated home expected to operate at or near net zero with solar PV, solar hot water, solar pool heating, and high efficiency HVAC
- Single-Family Residence
- 141 Great Hill Road, Ridgefield, CT 06877
- Event Participation:
- NESEA Green Buildings Open House 2013 Host
- Solar PV
- September 2013
- Size of System:
- 18.6 kW
- To generate electricity
- For space heating
- For air-conditioning
Professionals & Suppliers
- Mitsubishi air-source heat pumps for heating and cooling
- American hybrid electric water heaters
- Suniva monocrystalline photovoltaic panels (18.7Kw)
- AET solar domestic hot water panels
- AET solar pool water heating panels
- Ultimate Air energy recovery ventilators
- Ecologic Energy Solutions (spray foam insulation)
- High Performance Energy Solutions (HVAC)
- Anthem Solar (solar hot water and solar pool heating)
- Northeast Smart Energy (solar photovoltaic)
- Steven Winter Associates
- BPC Green Builders
- Energy Auditors:
- Steven Winter ASsociates
What You Need to Know
The house is heated and cooled by electric air-source heat pumps, with energy recovery ventilation. Power is generated by rooftop solar photovoltaic panels. Hot water is generated by rooftop solar thermal panels. Supplementary hot water is generated by electric hybrid water heaters. The outdoor pool is heated entirely by a solar hot water system.
The house is expected to operate at a net zero level.
Minimal for all systems. Periodic check-ups and filter cleanings for heating and cooling.
Efficiency or Sustainability Improvements:
The home features an air-tight, super-insulated thermal envelope. 9-1/2" double-stud walls are insulated with spray foam (SPF) to R-38. Thermally-broken 16" rafters are insulated with SPF to R-64. Poured concrete foundation walls insulated to R-27 with R-20 foam board insulation under the slab. Triple-glazed windows and doors. Solatube natural lighting. Appliances are Energy Star certified. All lighting is LED and fluorescent.
Sustainability was one of the owners' top goals, as was greatly reduced energy operating costs.
Open House Info:
House is open from 10am-2pm.
View Other Case Studies
Multi-Family Residence|Solar PV
The EnergySage Marketplace