Combine ICF walls with Ground Source heat pump and last is PV solar.
or more of hot water
or more of space heating
or more of air conditioning
- Rick and Carol Hannah
- Single-Family Residence
- 3802 N Cottonwood Rd, Urbana, IL 61802
- 5,100 sq ft
- Energy need met:
- 100% or more of hot water
- 100% or more of space heating
- 100% or more of air conditioning
- Zero net energy
- Gross Cost of System:
- Value of Rebates:
- Value of Tax Credits:
- Net Cost of System:
- Annual Savings:
- Own or Lease:
- Cash Purchase
- Additional Financial Notes:
- This house is a Net Zero Plus house. It produces more KWHs than it uses each year. House has a 400 amp electric service to facilitate a future doubling of 10,800 watts to 21,600 watts. This will fully power the house with five occupants and two PHEV cars.
Professionals & Suppliers
- Fox Block =Insulated Concrete Forms R22 + 6" concrete
- Waterfurnace (Fort Wayne, IN.)
- 48 Emphase M215 Micro Inverters
- 48 Trina 60 cell 235 watt solar panels
- Midwest Renewable Energy
- Brett Doweling Custom Homes
- Hoveln Heating and Air Conditioning
- Used cash back 30 yr. mortgage at 3.156 APR
- Brett Dowelling
- Bill Fabian
- Rick Hannah
- Brett Dowelling (House)
- Bill Fabian Solar PV system
- Rick Hannah Lot development, ICF, Geo and solar vision
- Energy Auditors:
- Installed revenue grade solar meter
- My public utility Ameren electric meter
What You Need to Know
Totally Electric house no propane or natural gas used for heating or cooling. ICF Insulated Concrete walls are more costly but have good insulating value and wind/air does not go through 6 inches of concrete. Great air tight house. Ground Source Heat Pumps bring 53 degree from four 150 ft. deep wells into heat exchanger in house. Heating is about 4 output units of heat for each single unit input. Air Conditioner has a SEER rating of 27 in first stage. 48 Enphase M215 micro inverters and 48 Trina 235 watt solar panels. The Enphase M215 will max out at 225 watts each. 225 x 48 = 10,800 watts. Ground mounts are more expensive but make for easier snow removal and maintenance.
Total Power bill was $36.00 in 2013
Clean snow off with extendable fiber glass pole with non-scratching snow scraper on end. Ground Source Heat Pump has 10 yr. warranty.
I am cheap. I look at life cycle cost and not upfront cost.
Do your own research so you know when someone is not giving you the full picture.
Experience with Installer:
I had the best builders and installers.
Open House Info:
If you are going to be in Urbana, IL. call a day ahead. If I am available I will be glad to show you this house. 217-377-8282
View Other Case Studies
Single-Family Residence|High Efficiency HVAC
Single-Family Residence|Solar PV
The EnergySage Marketplace