I could not have been more pleased by my experience with EcoSmart Home Services. What I loved about them:
1. No hard sell. They have a product I wanted to buy, and from the first moment, EcoSmart gave me the information I wanted, when I wanted it. Other companies (I met with a total of seven) made me feel like I had to figure out how they were trying to trick me. It was stressful, and after talking to all seven, one thing became very apparent: many of them either outright lie or they obfuscate the truth. I selected EcoSmart because they took the time to understand my vision for the project and the goals underlying that vision. I wanted high quality panels that would last. I wanted an attractive solar array. I didn't want to overpay. EcoSmart listened and understood and made recommendations.
2. Great products at great prices. There is a lot to be said for not overpaying. I wanted the best solar production, using the best quality panels, for the lowest possible price. I feel very confident that I didn't overpay, and moreover, paid a fair price for a great product.
3. The warrantees! I was amazed at the discrepancy in warrantees offered from one solar company to another. I want everything to be warrantied for the longest possible duration (duh, right?) and EcoSmart offers 25 years, up front. Some other companies were willing to negotiate for warrantees of longer duration, without offering them upfront, which constantly made me feel like they were trying to trick me. EcoSmart was very transparent from the first moment. There is a lot to be said for straight-forward business dealings.
4. Trustworthy and responsive customer service, both in the back office and the front. It was really important to me that a named someone be responsible for our project, and that person be responsive and truthful when I had questions, and always follow up. At the same time, I didn't want to be pestered while I made a decision. I am really anti creepy sales people, which is why I loved EcoSmart; Ryan Shelby is just a dream project manger. He handled my solar project from beginning to end, site plan (all 6 drafts) to installation, to final inspection, to checking in to make sure all was working as expected. Ryan and his team at EcoSmart were true partners. I trusted Ryan and EcoSmart to have my back, keep my best interests and priorities in mind, and to think ahead to avoid potential pitfalls. Ryan and his team at EcoSmart proved over and over again that they are worthy of trust.
5. They're roofers too! Other companies wouldn't make any guarantees they wouldn't damage my roof. EcoSmart gave me confidence that my new roof was in good hands.
6. My motto: work smarter, not harder. EcoSmart worked smarter. Ryan was terrific at pointing out solutions to problems I didn't foresee, before they were problems. Any project manager can be expected to knock down issues as they arise. The best project managers predict and solve in advance. For example, since I have a detached garage that I wanted to put solar panels on, Ryan identified the most attractive way to run the power lines to the garage (buried, obviously) and then was able to use an existing buried conduit to avoid the expense of trenching. No other company had considered the appearance of my home in their site plan. Fewer wires is better. Giving me fewer wires without costing me money or digging up my landscaping? That's a beautiful thing. I really admire elegant solutions and the people who come up with them.
7. EcoSmart didn't make me feel stupid. The strategy many solar company sales people seem to use: confuse the customer with math they don't understand (often because it is utter nonsense). No bs from EcoSmart. I also wanted a symmetric configuration of panels so that if you happened to be flying over my home, the panels on my house would be pleasing to the eye. Maybe that’s dumb, but it is what I wanted, and I don’t regret insisting on it. EcoSmart didn't bat an eye when I explained. They designed a symmetric array that looks beautiful from space, and didn’t make me feel my request was silly. I felt consistently empowered to make decisions based on complete information.
8. Panel monitoring software. Enphase Enlighten monitors panel output. Some other reviewer said it doesn't monitor individual panel output which isn't true. The desktop version shows everything, including individual panel production. The mobile version is more streamlined.
What I didn't love:
It takes a long time from concept to working system. United Illuminating was so slow to approve.
I recommend EcoSmart unreservedly to everyone who asks. Call Ryan Shelby and you'll see why.