The short review:
The panels are great, they are extremely responsive to my questions, they were willing to work with me and still return my calls quickly after getting my money. However the process took 4 months and required several nasty emails on my part to get things done.
I was looking to have solar panels and an electric car charger installed last year before my second daughter was born in October, but after we sold a condo and got the cash for the installation. After getting some quotes Solar Union had the best price, was the most attentive was willing to work with my timeline and alternative payment schedule, which was awesome.
I called a previous customer and he told me that his recommendation was to have my contract say that if there was a new electric panel or new wiring required as part of the solar installation process, it was going to be Solar Union's cost. That advice probably saved me hundreds, if not thousands of dollars!
I signed my contract in July, and they started the initial design process while we waited to get money for the next steps in August. We had someone come out to see the house so they could draw up plans, and then a week or two later a different guy came to meet an inspector for an initial site inspection. At that initial inspection, the man from Solar Union had not brought a ladder so the inspection had to be rescheduled. The rep from Solar Union seemed very pissy about this and was frankly pretty rude to the inspector.
At the rescheduled inspection a third Solar Union rep came out (he ended up being the head of installation), but our inspector was extremely confused because the plans were drawn up for a different kind of construction that was not relevant to our property. So they needed to draw up new plans and do the initial site inspection again (for those keeping track this is now 3 inspections without anything being done on the house). At both the second and third inspection the inspector was very clear that we would need a bigger, higher wattage electric panel to get the installation approved.
Once we got the money and clearance to start work, we were told by different people in the company that the panels were either in storage, on their way, or hadn't been ordered yet. This lasted for several weeks.
Once installation started, the installers installed a new panel, but one that was the same wattage just larger. They got the panels on and the car charger installed over the course of about a week, but as you could guess the inspector came back and said the panel was too small. So they installed a new one that was THE SAME WATTAGE. Again, the inspector came back and told them it was too small.
At this point it was October, after signing the contract in July, and I was due with my baby.
Two days after coming home from the hospital I had installers here for THREE MORE DAYS installing a larger wattage panel and a larger service connection to the PG&E wires. Then it took another week or two to actually connect to PG&E. So my panels were turned on at the end of October, and I was connected to PG&E in November.
I was put on the wrong PG&E rate, and not told anything about those, but it has all been figured out now and the panels seem to be performing very well.
Overall it was EXTREMELY frustrating and if I didn't work from home the 8 inspections would have been terrible to deal with. However the price was great, the communication is actually great and the panels are working well. Just buyer beware.