The sales person, Dan, was very informative & explained each step of the installation process. A snag was reached with the rafters of the roof going in a different direction than other houses. I live in an old house so why this problem was new for Vivint was a bit strange but let's move on. The design engineers come up with a design based on photos, the roof being PHYSICALLY INSPECTED (& when I say physically inspected, I'm saying that somebody walked around on my roof & marked where the panels would GO), etc. The installers come out on 3/29/18 & were pleasant, thorough & clean. They even laid out the 'criminal scene' yellow tape across the yard. I ask at the end as they were wrapping up if everything went well & of course, I was told that it was great & all I needed to do (or so I was told) now was get the city inspection followed by the electric company. I believed them and signed my name to the 'dotted line'. HUGE MISTAKE. I wait WEEKS for the city to contact me.. maybe someone from Vivint to tell me what the status was... nothing.
On April 3, Nate from Vivint calls & wants my opinion & I said I'm still waiting on the city but the installers were nice, etc. He asked me if I had any questions & I said I had one: Why wasn't Vivint a member of the BBB? Nate said he would get back with me. At that point, I start to second guess my decision but it's too late now so I have to ride this baby out.
On April 16, I text Dan & ask him to check on things. Now at this point, Dan's job is done because my name is on the contract & the panels are up. He said he'd check with the office when he gets there. In the meantime, I call the city & I'm told that they have been waiting on ME to call them for an inspection. I get angry because I know I didn't misunderstand what I was told by Vivint. I call Vivint customer service & I'm told that my account is in what is called 'permit review.' I have no idea what that means. Dan texts me within an hour of that call & says there is a problem with my attic roofing. 'Permit review' means 'attic roofing!' WHO KNEW??? I now know that when the installers told me that all was well & I was to wait on the city, I was lied to.
Randy in customer service tells me he will call the operations manager. In short, my attic roof has some instability. The installers got permission to install the panels differently onsite & the operations manager is waiting on a design team to get approval, blah, blah, blah. The fact that I have been waiting on the city since March 30 when, in fact, no one was going to arrive is lost on Randy. He saw nothing wrong with somebody from Vivint not telling me the truth from 3/29 onward. I ask to speak to his manager & he hangs up on me. I call back.
This time I get a guy who tells me that yes, I was supposed to wait on Vivint to get back in touch with me for another inspection. He has no idea why I was told the city was my next step but yup, I was supposed to wait on Vivint to contact me. How was I to know that that was what I was supposed to do? He has no idea. That's what Vivint customers are suppose to do. They just wait without question and he's amazed (like other customer service people at Vivint) that I would question this. I ask for the operation director's name.. whoever it is over the last few weeks that has been determining the stability of my roof. Due to privacy issues, that name is to remain secret. I not only understand that but I don't blame that person one iota. I also told him that I'm still waiting on Nate from 4/3 to return my call.
In JUNE, I’m told that a contractor will come out and check on the attic. In JUNE, the city inspects the panels. As of September, 2018, no contractor has ever shown up or called me. The panels were turned on 89 days after installation.
I have had the panels for three months. They are working fine, according to Vivint. I now have a payment due monthly on the panels and I now have experienced DOUBLE the electric bill for the past 3 months compared to a year ago. Broken down, that's $115 a month for the panels and another $250 a month for electricity. I don't use gas. I'll take this opportunity to point out that it's just me, 3 dogs and a guinea pig. I called the electric company and they, like Vivint, state the equipment is working fine.
If I had known that my electricity bill would double compared to a year ago then no, I would never have gotten the panels. If I wanted to pay on the loan and get the panels actually removed, that'll be $3600 in addition to the loan payment. I'm now stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place, as they say. Both my sisters have panels and they have no problems with them. So the bottom line is: either don't get panels or don't go with Vivint.